Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Are you a Dancer or a "Daancerr": The Delcline of Classical Dance in America

Since the 1980’s classical dance in America has declined in substance significantly. With the development of music videos and specifically MTV, it seems classical dance has finally lost the entertainment battle to over sexualized, exotic dancing in music videos.  By first giving a brief history of classical dance in America and then actually watching a number on music videos, I will irrefutably prove this point. I will use Billboard’s Hot 100 charts to examine the top music videos from the last thirty years to compare and contrast the dancing and dancers in them. My results will show the slow decline of classical dance in music videos from the year 1980 to 2010. While the quantitative data from the Billboard charts will be significant, I will also utilize the visual and material culture in the music videos to explain what the decease of such a lovely art form in popular culture tells us about American culture. The fact the American is a credulous, profit driven, image based culture is painfully obvious through the observance of music videos. American popular culture constantly looks to identify with the ostentatious, demeaning, and idealistic values in music videos only to gain an impractical and undignified image of themselves and their lifestyle. (221)

11 comments:

  1. How will the Billboard be significant? I mean, I get it but maybe you could explain it a little bit more in your paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great abstract. You could almost leave out exactly where you got your research from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job. Seems a little too slanted for an abstract. I really like the passion and it's always better to have an opinion than just empty reporting. However, I would need to know what is replacing Classical dance that is so detrimental to our culture.

    I actually agree with you for the most part. I'm just think the abstract should give an image of what the new form of dancing is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your topic is related to mine, so I feel a personal connection. I think it is terrible how society has demeaned the arts. Good solid info and your topic will get the message out to people about the history of art and what it means.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is very good. The use of the information from Billboard is going to strengthen your argument and I like the way you talk about it. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you believe recent dance movies in the past 10 years have hampered or supported classical dance? I love the awareness your paper is revealing within the decline of arts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work! The history and methods are all right here for the reader. Although the language in the last sentence feels a little "wordy", in comparison with the earlier sentences.

    ReplyDelete
  8. such a unique topic! i love it, your information is clear and succinct and very specific. great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think this is a good abstract. Through Billboard top 100 videos you hopefully will get a variety of music genres, which can help you show how all genres from hip hop to country to punk rock have become more money driven to sell exotic dancing in videos.
    I also like that your topic focuses on the United States because a scholar in the future who reads your final research paper can take your paper and relate it to other countries through out the world.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Music videos are a good way to examine dance, but I thought that maybe you could also look at live performances with artists like Madonna and Lady Gaga and that would be a nice avenue to look at dance as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like how you are going to be using music videos, but have you ever thought of using live performances? I think this is a great topic, but there may be more sources that you could possibly use. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete